Tuesday, January 20, 2009

His teenage years are going to break the bank

I laugh thinking about how we spent the first couple weeks of this kid's life trying to get him to eat.

Kelan was kind of a sluggish newborn. Really, the poor child just wanted to sleep but the hospital forced us to bottle feed when he lost ten percent of his birth weight. I have these memories of Sean trying to get him to swallow MILLILITERS of milk from a plastic syringe. When we left the hospital, Kelan tipped the scales at a whopping five pounds thirteen ounces. The lactation consultant advised us to feed him every two hours. The kicker- we ended up having to wake him up to feed him during the night.


And here he is 13 short months later:

















He might as well be some sort of pod baby. I watch him with awe at mealtimes. I sometimes refer to him as the snake because he will swallow food whole when he is really hungry. His first word was more (which was kind of embarrasing because people thought he was saying mama- I knew better). His second word was cracker.

I've never seen anything like it... and apparently neither have the staff at the drop in daycare that I take him to. They often jokingly (I hope) ask if I forgot to feed him. I just laugh nervously. It's enough to have me seriously wondering about reincarnation. Perhaps in a past life he had a lot of hungry siblings to contend with.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So cute! You know, he takes after Sean. Sean was famous in our family for asking people, "Are you finished with that?"