Monday, January 12, 2015

And then I Just Stared at him and Blinked a lot

I'm scared.  It's not even February and we are all suffering from severe case of cabin fever here. It's not the bad kind though. Yet. The bad kind is when you find yourself just staring out the windows with crazy hair, still in your pajamas, digging into a box of dry cereal and giving handfuls of it to the toddler just to keep the whining at bay for another 5 seconds. I'm not there yet. I mean, I totally got dressed today.

We're at orange level cabin fever. Orange involves my poor, poor seven year old being forced to watch youtube videos with me and before I know it I'm laughing way too hard for the situation and he starts looking at me funny like I might be patronizing him, but I'm really just trying to keep hysteria at bay. I miss the outdoors. I miss when my youngest wasn't either on antibiotics or on his way to needing them because leaving the house happened more often.

Today, when we were looking for awesome youtube videos, I was reminded of an amazing experience we had last year at this very time doing this very same thing.  I've always wanted to share it with the world, so here is what happened...

One boring afternoon I had the idea of Spotifying (screw you, autocorrect, that is totally a word) the Macarena so that Kelan and I could dance to it because if I had to suffer through the 90's, I think he should get a taste too. But when I busted into the Macarena he had a very surprising reaction.  He told me I was doing it wrong (!?).

Hold up. No. I went to my seventh grade dances thankyouverymuch.

But I decided to take the bait. "What do you mean?" I asked. "This isn't how the song goes, I listen to this in Kindergarten all the time. This is the song where you count."

And then I just stared at him and blinked a lot.

Then I just started interrogating him, Law and Order style.  Tell me about this "counting song", I demanded.

After much confusion I just decided to google "counting Macarena song" and it led me to THIS AWESOME PIECE OF AMERICAN HISTORY. *writing side bar* I would have totally just put the video here but embedding is not an option on the iPad version, so please just click the link, it will be worth it, I swear.

After I watched it, I didn't even have words.  "You watch this in school?" I finally asked.  "We do all the time" he said.

And then I just stared at him an blinked a lot.

We probably watched it ten times that day because I just couldn't stop myself. It's just so...bizarre.

May your winter be short and your ear infections far between, my friends.




No comments: