Saturday, February 6, 2010

I hope it's you and not me, trendy parents.

I know it is practically a sin to admit this, but I am scared I spelled my kid's name wrong.

Sean and I had kind of a hard time picking a name. It's not because we couldn't agree, more because our last name rules out a lot of cool first names. Let's just say after a couple nights of milk-coming-out-of-your-nose type laughing about possible names, Sean and I had to get serious and make a rule that the name could not be an adjective - which surprisingly cuts a large chunk out of the baby name pool.

So let me walk you through the process. It's 2007 and I'm pregnant. Sean is Irish. I think that's pretty cool and since I'm not really a huge percent anything, we decide to go with an Irish name for our progeny. I Google "Irish baby names."

Here's where it gets a little sticky. I love my parents, but apparently they weren't going the creative route with names. I went to a school with around 1700 kids. I'm pretty sure 500 of them were named Emily. I was once one of four Emilys in a class at school. I'm not going to lie, it got annoying being referred to as Emily D #2.

So, I'm online paging through names. Evidently, Irish is in. The page of A's is basically variations of Aiden. The B's Braedon, C's Caden... you get the picture. By the time I got to K's I was just tired, and frankly a little nervous. Then I saw Kelan. Irish, check. Not too popular, check. Not an overload of consonants, check. What? it means slender? Score! (that last one might have come from me feeling a bit down about my pregnancy weight gain). I texted Sean and fell asleep.

The name really grew on us. We did not question the spelling. I tend to think when it comes to naming a kid, the fewer letters the better. Now, I have no stake in what you name your kid. I don't have to pay for your kid's therapy if you spelled jessica Jysykka, or Caitlin K8tlyyn. It does however piss me off when it starts affecting me. So, no, Kelan is not a popular name. Keelon, Keely, Keegan and a million variations of those apparently are.

I cannot go to the doctor's office or make a frantic call to poison control without the nurse pronouncing his name wrong. After awhile, it starts to make me wonder if it is not them, it's me. Bummer. It plays on my insecurities.

Finally, after a final straw at the pharmacy - wherein, a clerk pronounced his name Keeelanne - I came home and hysterically questioned Sean, "Did we spell it wrong? Should we have added three L's just to be sure?" He, as usual, was unmoved by my panic.

Needless to say, I am brushing up on my phonics, lest this happen again someday.

No comments: